Friday, February 17

i've never written fan mail before

I just finished the book Pegasus by Robin McKinley. it was … incredible. just like everything she writes. I “liked” her page on facebook, added her blog to my favorites list, and posted this on her wall:

When I reach the end of your novels I am generally shocked to remember that I am reading a book and that good writers have the freedom to end their novels whenever and however they like. I closed Pegasus about ten minutes ago (after staring helplessly at the last few blank pages for a minute or two) and got online praying to see an announcement, or even a rumor, of a sequel. I won’t *like* being troubled for two years, but at least there is hope for resolution.

Thank you for continuing to tell fantastic stories.

… I’m not-so-secretly hoping she replies to me. #bigdork

She's on the list of authors I want to be like one day. Not in the sense of copying their writing (because that would be silly) but because she, among a few others (Gail Carson Levine, Megan Whalen Turner, Tamora Pierce), has a way of writing that draws me in so completely that sometimes I really do forget that I'm sitting in the breakroom at Starbucks and I have to be back at work in 7 minutes. I'm always mildly embarrassed to admit that I read "young adult fantasy fiction," and more so to admit that sometimes I need to read them in the privacy of my room, where I can allow the story to take me somewhere else, and I can allow myself to be completely and emotionally involved in the story.

And then I remember that there are authors out there who continue to write these novels, and write them for people like me. And that they also want to be whisked away to a foreign land and spend enough time there to fall in love, and come back to the world with new ideas and new memories--and that, in the end, is why they keep writing.

2 comments:

  1. Never be embarrassed to admit that! There are some great books out there for that age group, I read them, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pegasus is on my book list -- now I'm even more excited to read it than before! YA fantasy fiction is wonderful (well, much of it). As C.S. Lewis said, "A book worth reading only in childhood is not worth reading even then." If I ever get to graduate school, my dream would be to find a program where I can write my dissertation on fantasy fiction of all kinds.

    ReplyDelete